The Blackwater Valley Rangers recently tasked the students to complete a fencing project from start to finish. The fencing in question was located on Puckridge one of our Wellesley Woodland sites.
Initially Adam, Jeremy and I reviewed the damaged, and with the aid of a measuring tape and some half decent maths, worked out the number of fencing rails and posts required to complete the job.
We all then returned to Ash Lock to check for any materials already available. Anything we couldn’t use from the yard we ordered.
On Friday 18th May, assisted by Jenny and a trailer fully loaded, we headed off to repair the fence.
Adam, our elected project lead, led the health and safety talks with great enthusiasm. He instructed us to initially remove all the damaged fence and clear the ground of any obvious obstacles.
We then, in two teams, set about putting in the new posts. The challenge was to get them nicely aligned with the existing ones, albeit on a sloping ground which need a good eye for the levelling. Once we were all happy, the ground was tampered ensuring the new posts were held sturdily in place.
After a lovely refreshing cup of tea, we then added the new rails. Adam kept us on our toes, double checking measurements ensuring that everything fitted snuggly, and at the correct height.
It was now time for lunch and we couldn’t have picked a nicer spot. Utilising the Laffan’s rustic steps we installed during the winter, we got up to a bench that gives you a spectacular view of Farnborough Airport.
Then it was time for the daunting task of installing the wire mesh. Jenny and Jeremy carefully rolled out the mesh and I followed behind fastening it to the upper and lower wire. This was much easier using the newly supplied ‘rapid fencing pliers’ from Bobbie. So much so that I was able to run around adding new clips, where needed, to the existing fence as well! Once completed, we then stapled the mesh to the posts. Whilst this was happening, Adam and Ed made the rest of the site nice and tidy by removing any additional waste material and rubbish.
It was a very successful day and great to finally see the missing fence replaced.
Thank you to BVCP for trusting us with the task.
Volunteer and Students Matt